Monday, October 17, 2011

Whole Grains? Blah!

We are doing a 24 day challenge which along with other things involves eating whole grains.  I can count on the tip of one finger what whole grain I like:  Wheat Bread.  However, we are embarking on an adventure which includes trying... Brown Rice.

I hate rice: brown, white, sticks, wild, you name it.... it is yucky.  BUT I found this recipe and it's actually good!  AND my children ate it up in a furry!

PERFECT BROWN RICE

2 Cups Brown Rice
1 Egg
2 Cups Chicken Broth
2 Cups Water
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1.  Preheat oven to 350.
2. Mix together broth, water, oil, and beaten egg
3. Add rice and pour into deep large baking dish.
4.  Bake at 350 for one hour. (High altitude bake at 400 for 1 1/4 hours)
5. DO NOT STIR!!!
6. DO NOT POKE!!!
7.  DO NOT DISTURB!!!
8.  Just look at the rice after 30 minutes and cover with a lid or foil at that time.
9.  When time is up fluff with a fork and mix egg into rice (the egg will have risen to the top) and serve.

Made a batch yesterday to use for the base of a taco salad (using only salsa as dressing).  This morning served leftovers with a poached egg for breakfast.  Tonight I'm using the last of the leftovers for a shrimp / veggie stir fry.

I'll let you know how it's going....  Sometimes I hate being healthy but this is yummy!

1 comment:

dinah shenk said...

The children and i love rice any kind of way but not Keith so I have found some delicious ways to made rice, seasonings and stuff to add to it. If you want some recipes let me know. keithndinah@gmail.com

By the way, I didn't know you had this blog :)