Friday, August 20, 2010

Fishing Poles

My heart is so full it hurts tonight.  Many thoughts....


We have this friend across the ocean who is seriously struggling to put food on the table per meal.  Him and his wife eat once a day in order to save money to help the "poor".  

I've been pondering this for awhile now, but keep shoving it to the back of my brain because it's so overwhelming.  Tonight I walked into my crowded closet, with my crowded bookshelves, the brick a brack, the clothes that don't fit and I don't like but keep anyway... and said "Oh my God forgive me."  There is nothing wrong at all with stuff.  Not at all.  Stuff is good, and stuff can really bless people.  However what is the point of my stuff?  (Mine I'm talking about not yours)  If my motto really is Love God first, and love other people... There really isn't anything wrong with money or stuff, however I would like my stuff and my money to be used to bless people.  



Soooo....  That means putting on another pair of glasses to see the world through.


For example, I won't stop going out for coffee with people.  Because that is using $ to build relationships.  However I don't think I'm going to buy new books anymore, when I can borrow the same book at the library for free.  I'm crossing a few things off of my wish list.  Who needs more cranberry glass?  I have no place to put it anyway.


Dave and I have this vision of this fund (maybe we shall call it the fishing pole fund).  Where someone with a brilliant idea can take out a "loan" to buy a resource producing tool, then pay the "loan" back into the fund for someone else's turn.  Our friend for example across the ocean has a brilliant idea for a fishing pole, but has no cash to purchase it to feed his family.  There are many such programs being put into place across the world, maybe it is our turn to start one in this particular spot.


Funny coincidence is in family Bible Story two nights ago we read about the woman who gave her two coins, all she had.


No, I am not taking on a vow of poverty.  I'm actually asking God to make us rich.  Please Lord, I would like to help a guy buy a fishing pole.  And in the meantime I listed a few things for sale on Amazon....


PS:  anyone want two bins full of blue Christmas decorations?  I've decided to keep the red ones.  (YES I have two sets of Christmas decorations!)

No comments: